Wednesday, December 07, 2005

X-ing out the X-mas tunes

The holidays are upon us and that means a whole lot of things. Most annoyingly, it means Christmas music . . .

Most of you know I love music, in general. Songs mostly. This time of the year drives me bonkers because you can't turn on your radio or go to the grocery store without hearing the SAME 15 Christmas songs over and over and over.

I don't listen to the radio very much, except for when Mountain Stage is on, or maybe if Terry Gross is interviewing someone of interest on "Fresh Air," (I did catch her interview with Rick Rubin-He sounds as immensely intelligent as I thought he would) or if I'm in broadcast range of WVRU 89.9 fm in Radford. So I've avoided the Christmas music for the most part. Which makes me think; "If I HAD to listen to any Christmas music, what would I choose?"

They are all the standard, overplayed ones, but they are still great songs that I try to indulge myself with for about 29 days out of the year.

1. "Blue Christmas"-Elvis Presley. Only Elvis can do it and make you feel happy about being blue.

2. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"-Brenda Lee. Every time I hear this I think of the Fraggle-Rock Christmas, but I have no idea why. 'Rock' association perhaps?

3. "Carol of the Bells"-Manheim Steamroller. Prog-rock Christmas music! Of all the Christmas songs that rock, this one rocks the hardest. I remember the first time I heard it I guessed that it was Metallica. THAT would ressurect their career!

4. "The Christmas Song"- Nat King Cole. I remember Hootie & The Blowfish doing this on Jay Leno, and it was good, but I think the spirit of Nat could crush Darius Rucker like a Chestnut, freshly roasted on an open-fire.

5. "Sleigh Bells"- Ella Fitzgerald. This one and the Elvis one I could probably listen to any time of the year. Unfortunately, I think three of my five Christmas songs are currently available on "Now That's What I Call Christmas," so I'm not sure what that says for my tastes.

This time of year offers an obvious, economicly driven surge of consumerism and people get cranky, I tell you. That's why I keep the radio off. If I hear "Rudolph" or "Jingle Bell Rock" or "Here Comes Santa Claus" or that awful Paul McCartney tune, I may develop a bit of road-rage insighted by overtly cheery Christmas sentiments by way of frequency modulation.

Records of the year may be posted next week, but can anyone tell me an official starting date? Does it have to be released between Jan-Dec 05? The record companies operate on fiscal years, then should I?
DS

Current Listening: "End of the World Party (Just in Case)-Medeski Martin & Wood

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home