Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Survey of Sickness (Music Survey)

My good friend, (on MySpace, but more importantly in real life as well) Camellia posted this in her blog (instead of making a bulletin, bless her heart) and I thought to myself "FINALLY! A survey that I won't care to waste my time on."
So here we go. . .*rubbing hands together* this is gonna be fun!

1. Of all the bands/artists in your cd/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?

James Taylor, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Alice In Chains.

2. What was the last song you listened to?

"Reuben"-The Be Good Tanyas

3. What's in your record player right now?

ahhhhhhh, "record player" you ask:-) Right now its Hank Williams "40 Greatest Hits" Side III.

My Disc-changer has Aqualung-"Strange & Beautiful," Iron & Wine "Woman King EP", Bettye LaVette-"I've Got My Own Hell To Raise", The Be Good Tanyas "Chinatown", and Joni Mitchell "Court & Spark".

4. What song would you say sums you up?

That's too tough of a question to answer, especially with just a song title. If I said "More Than Words" by Extreme you'd probably think I associate it with a girl in my life when in actuality that song represents countless moments and mind boggling revelations that have shapped me into who I am. But it has nothing to do with being in love with a girl. But just about every girl I've ever dated has had to listen to that song. Is this why I'm single?!?
It must be said that whoever the hell just re-did it, I heard it for the first time yesterday and I just wish I could watch Nuno punching you in the face, breaking your synth beat maker over his knee, and then ripping his royalty money out of your back pocket.

5. What's your favorite local band?

They're not exactly local anymore, since I moved back to WV, but A Fine Line is one of my favorite bands all around. La Bianca kind of makes me want to kill myself, but in the best way possible. Maybe they could use that for their press kit. Out Of Orbit is another amazing blacksburg band that has migrated to Raleigh.

6. What was the last show you attended?

Austin City Limits Festival. See my three previous blogs.

7. What was the best show you attended?

Cyro Baptista and Beat the Donkey, Floyd Fest 2004 changed my life forever. Thanks to them every other live band has something serious to prove.

8. What's the worst band you've ever seen in concert?

I came to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers but Queens of the Stone Age were awful and loud. Those two things are never good together.

9. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

It's not fair b/c I don't know very many bands personally, but from the outside looking in I'd say F-N Weezer. I don't like anything about this band except their catchy ass riffs.

10. What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
My goal in live is to be "musically involved" during every waking second. But I've definately never been in two bands at once or anything.

11. What show are you looking forward to?

*Mountain Stage Taping this Sunday with Marty Stuart and Patty Loveless two of my earliest country music influences)
*Mountain Stage November 6th with Billy Joe Shaver who will hopefully sign my copy of his autobiography "Honky Tonk Hero"
*Avett Brothers- November 11th @ Rosewood Theatre, Morgantown WV12.

What is your favorite band shirt?

Probably the incubus t-shirt I made as a Group Leader at my sister's Vacation Bible School. We dipped carrots (why?) in paint and made shapes. I just kind of smeared "enjoy. . .Incubus" with some weird spacey looking apparatus.

13. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

If I could meet anyone that's alive right now it would probably be James Taylor. But I actually enjoy hanging with P. Kellach Waddle and Stephen, Adam and Delky from A Fine Line, but we kinda like hanging out lots of days.

14. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day? I've thought about this long and hard. Frazey Ford from the Be Good Tanyas. If I came home after a long day at the office and she was waiting for me when I got home, ready to sing one of her songs to me, I would be in love with her for the rest of my life.

15. Metal question-Jeans and Leather vs. Cracker Jack clothes?I choose to replace this question, b/c it pertains more to image than music and I feel bad already for saying I'd love a women for her singing ability alone.

15.*redux*What is the first album you ever bought with your own money?
Marty Stuart-"This One's Gonna Hurt You" (cassette, of course)

16. Sabbath or solo Ozzy?
I'd probably rather hear Sabbath, but I'm not really into anyting with Ozzy singing. Except for that "Dreamer" song he did a few years back. I like that b/c it's catchy as hell and represents everything that ISN'T "Prince of Darkness."

17. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?

Both baby!

18. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal?

Um, can I just say country and jazz?

19. Doesn't Primus suck?

According to their slogan, right? I saw them on Farm Club and the crowd was chanting precisely that.

20. Name all flawless albums:

No way am I going to name all of them, but here are the ones that come to mind.

*Thelonious Monk- Monk's Music
*Red Hot Chili Peppers-Blood Sugar Sex Magik
*Arcade Fire-Funeral
*Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers
*James Taylor- Gorilla
*Jeff Buckley-Grace
*Joni Mitchell-Court & Spark
*Metallica-...And Justice For All
*Janis Joplin-Pearl
. . .they keep coming to me. We could be here all night.

21. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek?

No, I'm filling this survey out because I was a music geek long before this.

22. What was the greatest decade for music?

Stupid Question. Its worth a shot. . .if you asked me this in real life you'd go home thinking "I shouldn't have asked him that."
For Jazz: the 20's and then again in the 50's.
For Rock: Maybe 1954-64? As long as you can fit Elvis and Hendrix in there, I guess its ok. But there's no Hank nor Zeppelin.
For Country: I guess 70's, but the purest stuff to me is still Roy Acuff and Woody Guthrie

23. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own?

Way too many to list, especially if you include all the late-night guests, storytellers, and various PBS concerts and documentaries I've taped throughout the years.

26. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?

I think in recent memory the Garden State and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. There's a new movie out called "Thumbsucker" and I think its all Polyphonic Spree and Elliot Smith, so it has to be good. We can not forget Wayne's World. I think that may've been the first time I heard Hendrix (dating myself beyond belief here).

27. What was your last musical "phase" before you wised up?

I don't really regret any of my phases, but people always laugh when I tell them I listend to Marty Stuart during the invent of rap and Hootie & the Blowfish when grundge was awesome.

28. What's the crappiest CD/record/etc. you've ever bought?

I've only sold 3 CDs back in my entire life.

Maroon 5-Songs for Jane, Queens of the Stone Age-Songs for the Deaf and Hootie and the Blowfish, Self-titled from 2003 or something.

I have to quote Camellia here too: "uhhh, i usually try to avoid buying crappy music. . ."

29. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs?

Well, if I had to move them, it'd be CDs. But if you asked me if I'd rather hear Johnny Cash singing "Cry, Cry, Cry" on vinyl or CD, I wanna hear the mono-shit baby.

30. All totaled, how much do you spend on music a month?

You can never own enough music, but I probably average at least $30 every trip. I try to keep it under $50, which is a ridiculous amount of money.

DS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home