Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Giving Thanks, Props

It's been quite some time since I blogged. I really felt strongly about the last one, so I hope everyone has had time to read it. In fact, it was so ponderous in its subject matter, I decided to make this sort of a Blog-Lite. Afterall, tis the season to be thankful. Not existential and snoody. So, here are a few ideas, stories and events that have taken place in the Sickness Universe . . .happy holidays ya'll.

My friend David, also an opinionated asshole. . er. . I mean music journalist has finally found a home-base for the dispelling his musical knowledge. His writing is on a couple web-sites, but it's now available without the restraints of editing, critical thought, and the other things that make blogging so invigorating. Check it out Here. Dave works at WVRU, my old stomping grounds, so he gets to listen to a lot more new music that is artistic and below the radar. In other words, he listens to a lot of indie rock that ISNT'T emo, as judging by his year-end best of list. Which is a great idea, if I can just remember what CD's actually came out in 2005.

Can someone explain why Dr. Sickness HATES Death Cab for Cutie but thinks that Postal Service is amazing?

I got to see my good friend Vaughn last weekend. Better known to a lot of you myspacers as Ol'VW. We set off to record at this church that was originally constructed by his Great Great Granddad (some distant relative is what I'm saying). It's abandoned now, so Vdubs just takes his computer and his sweet condenser microphone that plugs into the USB on his laptop and records life, one take at a time. Perhaps the most ironic thing was the spiritual invigoration I felt in church that day. Something I haven't felt inside a church in quite sometime, and we were recording a medley of Hank Williams Sr. tunes.

We forged "Window Shoppin'," "My Sweet Love Ain't Around" and "Your Cheatin' Heart" into six minutes of awesomeness. Perhaps this track, featuring DS on guitar/vox and Vdub on Clawhammer Banjo and harmony vox, will make it to his MySpace player some day, but I don't care if it doesn't. The recording was the thrilling part. Trust me when I say it wouldn't sell any records.

Speaking of selling records. . .

Miles Apart are a band based out of North Carolina and Virginia (hence the name) and have just released a debut EP. I'm still waiting on my copy to come in the mail, but you can sample some stuff on MySpace. Two very talented songwriters write for this band, Philip Hamrick and Luke Denton, as well as a stellar rhythm section and the sweet sweet sound of Rachel Smith backing up the fellas (or showing them up, depending on who you ask). I'm priviledged enough to call at least a couple of these guys my friends, but I like their music regardless. Even if Bobby decided to cut me out of his life forever, like another certain bass player I know did recently in a superbly childish manner, I'd still like this band. Go give them a listen. Tell em' Dr. Sickness sent you.

Another Opinionated Asshole who writes a very clever column on a much more regimented schedule than I is Bryan McBournie. I used to call him a colleauge at The Tartan, but now he's just a guy I used to know who will one day be a world famous columnist for the Washington Post or something. So I'm saying go enjoy his writing while he still has no politicized agenda to adhere to and he is just being funny. He name dropped me in a recent post, so the least I could do is return the favor.

If you buy that new MySpace Records bull-malarky, you're a true poser. If you did it just to get the four extra profile pics, you're beyond hope.

This interview is great and was written by another former Tartan colleague. He interviewed Fred Durst, and believe me, I wouldn't normally direct you to read anything that directly relates to anything limpbizkit. But Schools (the author/Durst expert) did a damn fine job of interviewing Durst while making light of the fact he's basically a washed-up and forgotten pop icon. While I'm sure Freddy is glad to get whatever press he can, Schools wrote an A+ piece here. A lot of good stuff on Rift Rock.com actually.

I find it fairly counterproductive to put hyperlinks in your blog because you're basically saying "Stop reading and go HERE" when chances are you've just lost your readership. Alas, there are other great places to stop on the internet. And contrary to popular belief, they aren't all on MySpace!

I guess that will suffice for now. I look forward to posting my top records of the year. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

We surely do have a lot to be thankful for.

Current Listening: Matt Pond PA- "Several Arrows Later"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home