Friday, August 26, 2005

Ancient History

Do you know who I saw today while browsing the CMT.com site? THE DAVE MATTHEWS BAND! What is UP with DMB on CMT?
Last week I happened to catch a episode of "CMT Crossroads" where country main-stays are paired with personalities of other genres. Sometimes this is pretty cool (Hank Williams Jr. & Kid Rock) and other times its disatrous (James Taylor & the Dixie Chicks). Last week I caught Dave Matthews and Emmylou Harris. Firstly, Emmylou is a goddess and is a peer to very few. Some would say the same about Dave, but I personally think some of his peers have already passed him by creatively (John Mayer perhaps?).
Seeing Dave and Emmylou perform "Long Black Veil," made famous firstly by Johnny Cash I believe, was thrilling. A lot of people have done this song poorly, but Dave added his style to it and made it fresh. Good for him. He also had Trey Anastacio (sp?) from Phish on stage with him, so double good for him. I don't like Phish or Trey very much, but hell, I'm all about exposing different music to previously deaf ears.
But how come DMB is now a listed artist on CMT.com? You can even subscribe to get updates about his band, right alongside Big & Rich and Darryl Worely.

I haven't any explanation. The big news on CMT.com was that Julia Roberts' first acting gig since having twins was in DMB's video for "Dreamgirl." I'll admit that I tried to watch the video but there must've been too much traffic from all the die-hard country fans clicking on the link saying "What is up with Dave Matthews on Country Music Television!?!"
But good for CMT for branching out. I'm not a fan of shows like "Barely Famous: The Warren Bros." (Although I was a huge fan of their song "Guilty" back when even FEWER people knew who they were) or the other "reality" shows. So 'boo' for taking to reality tv, but "big ups" for pushing the boundaries of what's considered country. Is CMT owned by MTV? If so I'm not looking forward to watching "Nashville: the REAL Music Row" ruin the face of all that we love about country and erradicating music videos all together.
And good for Emmylou for teaming up with Dave. I'm sure she's a real fan and loves what Dave does. Personally, if I had to pick whose records I would listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Emmylou hands down. I should say that I still thoroughly enjoy "Before These Crowded Streets."
So, if you're looking for some retribution for CMT.com, I found it shortly thereafter. This guy Chet Flippo (who I'm sure doesn't listen to DMB) writes a column every week called "Nashville Skyline." This guy talks about everything from Nashville trends to June Carter Cash to the recent Payola scandel at SonyBMG (which is a whole nother blog itself). Check him out, but don't forget about ol' Dr. Sickness when you realize his supremecy.
I titled this blog "Ancient History." Thats b/c the last time I got to actually sit down and listen to some music I stumbled upon this song by Johnny Cash. I don't know who wrote it b/c its on a hits package that Columbia neglected to provide any publishing or songwriting credit for (again, What is UP with THAT?!). But Damn! What a great song! So look that up. Speaking of the Cash man, I saw Third Eye Blind do a version of "Cry, Cry, Cry" today that was incredible. I'll take the original anyday, but it sounds like a f-n 3eb song! "Soon your sugar daddies will all be gone. . ." That is totally a line Stephan Jenkins could've written, ala "If I could bottle my hopes in a store bought scent, they'd be nutmeg peach and they'd pay the rent" from their album Blue. The song title escapes me.So recommended listening this time around is thrice: Johnny Cash, any of the old hits packages (Sun records, early Columbia)

Dave Matthews Band-"Before These Crowded Streets"

Third Eye Blind-"Blue" There weren't any hits on this, and the version of "Slow Motion" with the lyrics was left off the album, so I guess you have to find a way to steal that one. Its their greatest song in my opinioin. The record is a good one, not great like their first one, but that's still a good thing.That's all for now. Spread the sickness friends!
DS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home